Looking for a lighter healthy potato salad? I love this vegan potato salad recipe, which was inspired by mother-in-law Helena’s potato salad that she has been making for years in Sweden. The simplicity of the salad is the secret; there are no fussy ingredients, only a light touch of vegan mayo and sour cream, mixed with leek and capers. The results are a fluffy, creamy salad with just a hint of subtly pungent leeks, the light sea fermented flavor of capers, and ample chunks of cooked fresh potatoes. I love to serve this vegan potato salad year round–it’s great as a side dish for weekend meals, parties, picnics, potlucks, tailgate meals, and holiday tables. With only 6 ingredients, you can make this gluten free salad in under 30 minutes.
How long does potato salad last?
This recipe holds really well, so you can make this potato salad over the weekend, cover it and store it in the fridge, and enjoy it all week long (up to 5 days). This classic potato salad is delicious served with a BLTA sandwich, bowl of lentil soup, or veggie burger.
Creamy Vegan Potato Salad with Leeks
(3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
5 from 3 reviews
- Author: The Plant-Powered Dietitian
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Diet: Vegan
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
This creamy vegan potato salad with leeks is a light potato salad flavored with the subtle flavor of leeks, fresh potatoes, capers, and plant-based mayo and sour cream.
- 3 pounds thin-skinned potatoes (i.e., Yukon gold, red skin potatoes)
- 1 small leek, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (make your own here)
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (i.e., Kite Hill, Forager, or make your own here)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
Cook Mode Prevent your screen from going dark
- Scrub outer surface of potatoes (do not peel), slice in half, and place in a large pot filled two-thirds full of water. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are just barely tender, but still firm (about 12-20 minutes, depending on size and type of potatoes). Drain water immediately and transfer to a colander to cool. When potatoes are cooled enough to handle, slice into large cubes (about 1 ½ inches) and set aside.
- Meanwhile, trim the leeks by removing any tough outer leaves. Slice white part thinly into circles, then into halves to create “moons”. Slice tender green section into thin slices. Place in a colander and rinse well, then drain. (Leeks can carry a lot of dirt during their growing process, so for best results rinse after slicing). Add to a large bowl.
- Add capers to the bowl with leeks.
- In a small bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise, vegan sour cream, white pepper, and salt (optional) and mix until smooth.
- Add slightly cooled potatoes to the bowl with leeks and capers and combine gently.
- Gently fold in the mayonnaise mixture into the potato mixture until well combined, being careful to maintain the texture of the potatoes. (Rigorous stirring will turn the potatoes into “mashed potatoes”!)
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time. Makes 12 servings (about 2/3 cup each).
- Store covered in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 106 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan potato salad, how long to boil potatoes for potato salad, healthy potato salad, how long does potato salad last
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @sharonpalmerrd on Instagram
For other salad recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Green and Gold Brown Rice Salad
Arugula Salad with Tomatoes
Green Bean, Chickpea, and Farro Salad with Za’atar
Spicy Cauliflower Salad with Cilantro
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Peanuts and Papaya
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Vegan Feta and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Red Plum Wheat Berry Salad
Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.